Wellington Farm Park
6944 S Military Road - Grayling, MIPhone: (989) 348-5187
This farm is a 60-acre, open-air, interpretive museum located on Military Road is a working replica of a typical Mid-American farmstead during the 1930s. In this park is a unique Farm Market, full of farm fresh goodies from fresh milled flours and corn meal to home-baked pies. Special events occur throughout the year.
1781 Heightsview DriveHoughton Lake Heights, MI 48629Phone: (989) 202-4153
Tucked off the beaten path in the Heart of the Heights of Houghton Lake in the Historical Old Town District is Anchor Inn. The historic site the home of Spears House of Fright, a haunted attraction in Roscommon County. Haunted tours and events are hosted yearly. It is a featured haunted site on television and in books.
CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Museum
Open Memorial Day through Labor Day, Daily hours from 10-4Across from North Higgins Lake State Park on North Higgins Lake DrivePhone: (989) 348-6178
This museum has many photographs and artifacts depicting the CCC workers day-to-day life and accomplishments, including a replica CCC barracks building with exhibits. This group between 1933 and 1942 planted 484 million trees, constructed 7000 miles of truck trails, 504 bridges and 222 buildings.
Michigan State Firemen's Memorial
County Rd. 103 (E Robinson Lake Road), just off Exit 239 of I-75 - near RoscommonPhone: (989) 275-5880
Firemen's Memorial is a monument dedicated to all fire fighters that have died in the line of duty. This memorial is one of the few in the nation to honor these fallen heroes. Each year usually during the 3rd week of September, a festival is held in remembrance these brave citizens at the Roscommon County Fire Training Grounds (formerly Roscommon Fair Grounds.) During this festival there is a parade, antique equipment demonstration, a memorial service, a light parade, music, dancing, emergency crew competitions and many more planned activities. The Firemen’s Memorial Festival Committee, Inc. can be reached at (989) 275-5880.
Gallimore Boarding House & Richardson Schoolhouse
404 Lake Street - RoscommonOpen on Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day
The 1880's built Gallimore Boarding House operated as a boarding house from 1904 to 1931. It has three rooms furnished to that period, two exhibit rooms and a gift shop. The Richardson Schoolhouse (1914-1955) is being restored as a museum.
Houghton Lake Historical Playhouse
1701 W Houghton Lake Drive - Prudenville, MIPhone: (989)366-9124 | (989)821-8433
Houghton Lake's Historical Playhouse is used for events including live plays, musical concerts, community events, weddings, reunions.
Houghton Lake Historical Village
1701 M-55PrudenvilleFridays & Saturdays from Memorial through Labor Day 12-4pmPhone: (989) 366-9124
The Historical Village contains Eleven (11) restored 1800s buildings. These building include a schoolroom, Blue Star Museum, town hall, dress shop, general store, doctor’s office/ pharmacy, barber shop, a homestead, a chapel and others. Every year on the first weekend of August Village Day festival is held in the historical village. During Village Days the historic site comes alive with demonstrations, guides in period costumes, all buildings open and operating. There are also numerous craft and musical demonstrations.
Roscommon Historic Model Train Club
815 Lake Street - RoscommonOpen to the public Wednesdays and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Roscommon Historic Model Train Club building has displays of N, HO, S, O and G scale trains. The 1.5” scale ride on track layout garden railway is located next to the Ausable River Center at 211 N. Main, Roscommon, and offers rides to children on Saturdays during the summer.
Marguerite Gahagan Preserve
209 Maplehurst - RoscommonPhone: (989) 275-3217
This ten acre property and cabin home was donated by Marguerite Gahagan, who when moving to the Roscommon area developed a haven for wild animals that she called her “little people.” The property consists of mature white and red pine forests and cedar swamp. A small stream forms on the property, which becomes Tank Creek. The Preserve is open to the public from dawn until dusk. Take M18 to Southline Rd. turn west unto Preserve Rd.